Isle of WightIsle of Wight Methodists East & West Wight Methodist Circuits Rays of Light


Brading Methodist Church

Back to Previous Page


Programme
Tuesday10:15 am - 11:45 amTake a break - coffee morning
Friday (fortnightly)7:00 pmPrayer & Bible Study - rota of members' homes

 
Although on the outside, Brading Methodist Church is still a mid-19th Century building, it is very different inside. The Church, at road level, has an attractive, modernised interior, totally carpeted, with seating for 60 people. The Hall, beneath the Church, is an attractive open space for our young people's work. Sunday Worship is family orientated, the first 20 minutes led by our own leaders with the young people very much in mind. The remainder of the Service is more conventional and led by a Circuit Preacher or our Minister. You will find the fellowship friendly and welcoming.

Our History.

Local Methodism started with the Spirit of God compellingly calling a Miss Mary Toms, from Cornwall, to come to the Isle of Wight, of which she knew nothing, and to Brading in particular, as a Missionary in 1823. She obeyed the call, arrived during Cowes Week and founded a Bible Christian Society in the Village. Having married a Brading man who had also been converted, they opened a Preaching Chapel in rented premises in West Street in 1837.

The present Church was built on what was then the edge of the Village, on a piece of leased land at the end of the Wheatsheaf pub garden, and opened in 1867. Following Methodist union in 1932, the Bible Christian Chapel became known as the Methodist Chapel.

During the Second World War the Hall was used as an army canteen. After the war, the work slowly declined as members grew older, the earlier evangelical fire faded and the burden of an ageing building became too great. In 1967, exactly 100 years since it opened, the Church was closed.

However, in that year God had brought several young Christian couples to live in the Village who began to meet together for prayer as a house group. The meeting steadily grew and permission was given to commence a massive DIY scheme on the premises which resulted in the lower Hall being re-opened in 1970. The Church, at road level, was re-dedicated in 1972 following total renovation.

Since then, very many people, including hundreds of youngsters, have been richly blessed through the Worship and Ministry of the Church. We have had a number of special Missions for adults and children, including Scripture Union Holiday Clubs. We've run Youth Clubs, Target Clubs, Sponsored Walks, Barbecues and Parents Evenings. Today we maintain our weekly activities of Family Worship, Sunday School and Youth Meetings, and our congregation steadily grows.

Our illuminated Cross, a witness every night to passers-by, was installed in 1977, and the new extension with kitchen and upper room was built in 1988. Most recently, in 1999, through another major DIY effort, the interior of the Church was completely repaired and redecorated. We anticipate exciting times and are ready for whatever our Lord requires of us in future years.

Home     Churches    Ministers    Events    Preaching Plan    Links