Isle of WightIsle of Wight Methodists East & West Wight Methodist Circuits Rays of Light


Binstead Methodist Church

Back to Previous Page


Programme
Monday7:15 pmChurch Fellowship, 2nd Monday of Month in the vestry
Tuesday (fortnightly)2:30 pmBright Hour, Worship with a speaker in the vestry
Thursday6:00 - 7:00 pmBible Study Home Group

 
We use "Hymns & Psalms" and "the Methodist Worship Book" (large-print copies of both are available).

The church has several microphones and a loop system.

The Binstead Church Mission statement is:-

- to proclaim and reflect the love of God;
- to encourage worship which is relevant, challenging, thoughtful and participatory both for our congregation and for the young people of the Sunday school;
- to care and pray for each other;
- to welcome and enable others to join our church easily through social and open events as well as Sunday worship;
- to encourage everyone to use their talents and gifts for God's glory in worship, practical church work and pastoral care;
- to grow in the faith and to commend training when provided;
- to work and worship with other Methodist churches in our section and in our circuit;
as well as the Holy Cross church in Binstead and other churches in the "Churches Together in Ryde Area".


Other Information

Methodists in Binstead have been meeting on the present site since 1866 when Mr Edwin James, a local builder and member of the congregation, built the first Methodist Church. This building is now used as the church hall. The original church was extended at the rear and that extension is now used as a kitchen.

A new Methodist Church was built adjacent to the original building in 1889 at a cost of £900 and has a large vestry at the rear of the premises which is used for many church meetings.

Since celebrating the centenary of our church in 1989, the present congregation has undertaken many projects to refurbish and upgrade the premises to make them suitable for the present age. The church took a great step of faith when it borrowed £2,000 to ensure that the slated roofs of both premises could be renewed in 1989. The loan was repaid very quickly, the church was rewired, and new lighting was installed the following year. In 1992/3 the vestry was refurbished, the redundant chimney removed, a new kitchen area installed and a carpet laid. The Organ was completely overhauled in 1994.

In 1996 the Hall was rewired and the kitchen at the rear of the hall was transformed in 2000. Soon afterwards a new heating system was installed in the Church & Hall with modern radiators replacing the old heating pipes.

More recent refurbishment work has included access for disabled people. Fundraising has made us work well together. We have had fun and many interesting and innovative ideas.

Looking back we can see that our times of greatest spiritual growth have been when we have been tested and short of funds.

God has been faithful to us and supplied our needs.

Home     Churches    Ministers    Events    Preaching Plan    Links